A Social Network for Women in Business, Women Entrepreneurs, and Bloggers
Do you have toddlers at home with you? Have you ever tried to get some work done, but your toddler insist on having your undivided attention? Well, that is exactly what goes on in my home. I started my business in 2010, at the time, my son was 4 and my daughter was 2. So, as you can imagine, I have my hands full. There are times when my daughter wants me to play tea party and watch Dora the Explorer with her. She will get in her mood, where if I don’t get off the computer, she will want to get in my lap and help me design a cake, or help me type. At that point, I know it’s time to take a break, because nothing i’m doing will be done correctly. I know you are having some of the same situations to occur at your house.
Let me give you five little nuggets that will help decrease the noise in your house and allow you to be more efficient while working from home.
1) Try paid childcare once or twice a week. I know for most mom entrepreneurs, at the beginning stages of their business, money might be a little scarce. So hiring a nanny for a couple of hours or a couple of days during the week, will free you up a lot of time to take care of your business tasks. We allow my daughter to attend daycare once per week, this is what I like to call mommy day. I can get a lot more work done faster when she’s not home.
2) Have some activities for them to stay involved. You can find a lot of cool and cheap toys at the dollar tree, or you can even rent movies from the redbox to keep them entertained. I visit the red box at least twice a week to view new possible movies. I also love love the dollar tree, they can get at least 2 or 3 new toys. This usually keeps them happy for a couple of hours.
3) Have Some daddy time. This is one of my favorite. When your husband or boyfriend can take the kids to the park or play with them outdoors, this will give you a couple of hours to get more of your work done. I so enjoy the weekends because this is when my hubby is available to take the kids for a couple of hours and this leaves me with a very quiet house. I can focus and get my blog posts done in no time.
4) Get your family involved. Maybe your parents or inlaws are close by, and they can keep the kids for a couple of days or a weekend. This works miracles! My in-laws were in town last week and I caught up on some much needed rest and got a lot of extra things done around the house. I must admit that i got spoiled because they kept the kids and took them everywhere they went.
5) Mommy and Me time. You have to make time for your kids. This is apart of your everyday routine. I find that when I set a set time aside to just give my kids my undivided attention, everyone wins. You have some happy kids and this will be something you can look back on and smile about. I try to spend at least a couple of hours per day with just me and the little people, and for those of you who are married, you have to make time for the big baby as well (husband/ boyfriend).
With a little creativity and some flexibility, you can have a very successful work at home job and happy family. If you liked this blog post, visit Moms Wearing Multiple Hats to get more tips!
“What are some of your best tips? I would love to hear from you!”