Can someone please....help a sista out! I want to put on a fundraiser for the sickle cell foundation here in Detroit, MI for October 31, 2009. But, I don't have a clue on how to get it started, can someone pass on some advice for a sista who wants to do something for a good cause...(:
Thank you so much for contacting me. I will be contacting you on Monday to get some help with this fundraiser and help an organization that is close to heart for me. I miss my loved ones so much and I want to do something in their honor that I should have done years ago when they were in the living. You may call me as well to discuss my options...(:
Thank so much for your advice your an angle.....(;. The theme to my fundraiser is going to be a Mardi Gras Masquerade Ball. Everyone here is so excited about coming because it's something a little different, even the society organization that I will be raising the funds for will be attending the event as well. Finding a place is hard because so many people think ahead and get their space early, it pays to plan ahead but I just thought about just last month...lol! God will provide and help me find what I need to get things in motion.
I have been hosting a number of fundraisers for my community sports team.
First of all decide how much you are trying to raise. This will help to decide what type of event to host.
Next decide if it will be a family event or adult event. This seperates the types of events you will need to hold to make the above amount.
Type of Event
Adults Balls, Banquets, Gala are great
Carnivals, Fun Days, Father Daughter Dances,
Some Community events are good like large community yard sales, craft shows.
Thank you so much for all the information you have passed on to a sista in the beginning of her life to be able to donate to a foundation in need from someone like myself who is need as well. It has never been about me, but other people GOD takes care of me and provides everything I need.
1. Contact the Foundation to let them know what you are doing, get permission to use their logo, and obtain any guidelines that your event must follow. (Once they are aware of your event, they will probably help you get the word out!)
2. Decide on the type of event you want to have, determine a budget, and select a location. (Secure donations from local businesses to help with expenses, giveaways, etc.)
3. Determine how you want to get the word out (ads, flyers, word-of-mouth, etc.). Are you selling tickets? If so, you gotta get them printed.
4. Decide on the decorations, entertainment, activities, refreshments, etc. for the event and secure services as needed.
5. ACCEPT THE HELP OF OTHERS!!! (Unless you're having a barbecue in your backyard, this can become very labor intensive.)
6. Maintain accurate records (especially financial records, but also donations, attendees, vendors, etc.). Be sure to acknowledge everyone who contributed in any way in your event program.
7. Enjoy your event, and raise lots of money. The next time you do it, it'll be a piece of cake!!
Thank you for passing on the advice...(:! So far I have spoken to the foundation here in Detroit, Mi and got there permission to use there logo and go on with the fundraiser as planned. I was given materials to use for the fundraiser and advice of all those how have given fundraisers in the past for the organization. So far selling Avon online is one of my first options, the second option I will have a fundraiser party with a friend of mines that plays live jazz music, he has put on fundraisers in the past and present with great success, so everything you have mentioned in this blog I have set into motion, thank you so much again for all the advice.
You are so welcome, Ardella. I knew all those years of being Super Mom when my children were in school would come in handy someday. :) It sounds like you are well on your way to having a successful event. Good luck on reaching your goals and please let me know if I can help in any way.
Thank you for passing on the advice to ya girl here in the Big "D"...(:! I'm starting out selling Avon online to help raise the funds for the foundation. This is not just a charity event but it is a personal conquest because so many family and friends of mine have passed on because of Sickle Cell and I feel that the word is not getting out there enough for those that suffer with Sickle Cell, who really could use the help to learn how to stay more healthier and live longer.
I want to thank all those who have responded to my post. The event is going to take place October 31, 2009 and the theme is going to be a Mardi Gras Masquerade Ball for teens and adults hopefully I can get my churches ball room for the event, about 300-500 people will attend and the ticket price will be $30.00 each. Part of the proceeds will go to the foundation of my choice, which is the Sickle Cell foundation in Detroit, MI. I want to raise about $25,000 or more I hope that i'm going in the right direction. My mother, myself and a good friend who has done fundraisers herself will be in charge of getting the funds together.