In part one of this series, we highlighted the importance of exposing our children to the entrepreneur mentality. Being that all great accomplishments are the result of mindset plus action, it is imperative that we now begin to ingrain entrepreneurial activities in the everyday lives of our youth. Many have heard the aphorism, “It is not what you know, but who you know.” While it is certainly important to have some knowledge of one’s field, one’s connections can never be undervalued. Knowing the right individuals can very easily mean the difference between an upward struggle towards entrepreneurship or a red carpet reception. How can a child get a head start in making connections? The answer is very simple, by parents building their child’s network. Teach your child to keep in touch with former teachers, coaches, neighbors- anyone who they have established a relationship with. One of the easiest ways to do this is to send holiday cards to this list of individuals. As your child grows older, teach them to update their lists and eventually, allow them to be completely in charge of this activity. For other times of the year, purchase blank cards that your child can write his/her own messages in for birthdays, births, promotions, etc. Make sure that you praise your child for their thoughtfulness. This is the time to help nurture your child’s relationships. The more they put into this process, the more they will get out of it later. Encourage your child to seek out associations. Most children take part in competitions. Push your child to take the time to actually “meet” the judges after the event. If any specific businessperson or politician impresses you child, have your child write a note to that individual. The important thing to remember during this process is that it is crucial to make connections now, while your adolescent does not “need” anything from these acquaintances. In the future, these same contacts will be more than happy to write letters of recommendations for scholarships, colleges, and careers. Your child will not only benefit from their association with their own contacts, but also from each of these acquaintance’s networks. It is important to note that building your child’s network is not about creating superficial connections, but is about teaching your child how to connect with individuals in a way that creates lasting, mutually beneficial relationships. With practice, your child will become an expert networker. Stay tuned for the third and final installment, Part III- Putting It Into Action!

You need to be a member of Black Business Women Online to add comments!

Join Black Business Women Online

Replies

• Hi Crystal,

I just had to respond to your blog because this topic is right up my alley! As an author of a children's book dedicated to teaching young children basic concepts of entrepreneurship, I can't help but to enjoy reading your thoughts on youth networking. I have to admit, I spend so much time preaching about the business side of things to children and their parents, that I have not thought to add networking to the mix. I completely agree with you and look forward to sharing this information with my audience. Thanks for sharing.

Blessings,
    Lori
This reply was deleted.