Hello Friends!!!! I've been so on the go for the past two weeks, I neglected to post this discussion... so a day late.. here it is!!! Please forgive me! Do you acknowledge Juneteeth? If so, what did you do to celebrate it or what will you do? Do you think it should be a recoginized holiday???? For starters... my family does recognize and celebrate Juneteeth. We do what most folks do on the 4th of July- we cooooooook outttttttttt! but we also include a discussion on what Juneteeth is about... along with drums and dance and respect for our ancestors (libation)... without them, we would not be here! This weekend, we'll try to find our way over to the celebration in Durham! A ex-coworker of mines once got offended when I told her I didn't celebrate the 4th... she was bent on explaining to me that was our nations independance day... I had to break it down for her... (as Frederick Douglas so beautifully put it) What Your 4th of July means to Me! That when July 4, 1776 rolled around, the Blacks in this country were still enslaved and how our "freedom" didn't roll around until 1863- HOWEVER... it took another 2 years for it to reach our brothers and sisters in Texas. Do I think it should be a recognized holiday!! YES!!! But WE have to recognize it first!!! Check this article out... http://www.presstelegram.com/ci_9630550 Also, if you're able to find a copy of the DVD TRUE WOMEN it's one of the few films that recognizes, acknowledges and MENTIONS in the movie... June 19, 1865! Not only that... it's a really good movie!

You need to be a member of Black Business Women Online to add comments!

Join Black Business Women Online

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Yes I did. We BBQ'd with some friends and hung out. Do I think that it should be a holiday, yes. It will be one that we will have to fight for like the King Holiday
    • Can u hear the rocky music... let's get ready to rumble!!! I'm with you... and I agree... it will be a fight.
      SmileyCentral.comimage.gif
  • First time I heard of it. Thanks for sharing.
  • Juneteenth wow, I have heard so much about this because of my spouse who happens to be a Ruff Ryder (biker) I thougth it was a biker thing. Every year he and other motorcycle clubs go to Harlem and do the parade and drummers and the whole nine would be in attendance and I never went because of some reason or another, and just from reading this I feel so stupid. I actually called my mother and told her about this Juneteenth (she has a degree in history and she did not even know about this) she did however tell me that most Blacks do not celebrate July 4th now I know why. I went a told my husband that I learned something new today and he just laughed, he is from Trinidad and he knows more about American Black history than I do and I am no dummy. I am going to tell my children about it when they wake up and then we are going to make it a family celebration next year, no wonder I saw so many cook outs today. I definately believe it should be recongnized everything else is. We must learn and claim our history so as a people a race and culture we can survive. Be well Renee
  • My family has celebrated Junetenth since I was a child,I'm actually a bit put off this year though becuase the festivites are always held the weekend of the 19th, So I called my mom yesterday to see what time we were heading down to the park strip today( it's always held at the big park in the middle of downtown Anchorage) and she said they held it LAST weekend! WHAT?

But it is most definitley a dated that should be celebtated among black people.
  • WOW I NEVER KNEW ABOUT THE MEANING OF JUNETEENTH, BUT I DID RESEARCH AND FOUND OUT. THATS WHEN SLAVERY WAS OVER 6-19-1865. WOW THAT HIT ME HARD!

THIS DAY SHOULD BE PRAISED MORE OFTEN AND THATS WHAT IM GONNA DO!
This reply was deleted.