I just read this blog post 'Feel Like a Stranger' in which Trina, one BBWO member shares her feelings of disconnect to the BBWO community at large. I know this network is growing rather quickly, so I can understand that for some of you, its not quite clear how one gets connected on BBWO. If you do feel a disconnect, please share. For those of you who are active members, with growing sister circles.. please share how you are being seen and creating connections on BBWO. Quite a few of us are making sales, participating in interviews, meeting at events, and gaining a wealth of information. This is a great opportunity to let our fellow sisters how to get started and make the most of BBWO. As entrepreneurs we all need to know how to market ourselves, how to network, and how to work with one another. Now is the time to turn our weaknesses into strengths, and our strengths into life lessons that others can learn from.

You need to be a member of Black Business Women Online to add comments!

Join Black Business Women Online

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Hi

Thanks I am new to BBOW and I want to know how to market myself and want to make sure I network. Thanks

Mia
  • Hi LaShanda,
    At times I too feel invisible to the large network we have here, but that was no fault of my own.

When I first joined, people did welcome me, they read my profile and showed a general interest in my business. As time went on, it sort of died down a bit, and people stopped leaving comments and viewing my page. I found that the more I contributed to other group forums and discussions, the more people started to be interested in me. As a familiar saying goes," the squeaky wheel get's the oil". It can be the same here. If you are shy, and don't contribute, you should almost expect to be looked over. Also, if you don't have a picture or pictures of your business people don't take you serious, for all I know you can be a "Spammer".
    I didn't read Trina's post on being invisible, but I do feel for her. If she is getting out there and trying to network that I truly feel sad that she feels this way. If she is just sitting back hoping that people come to her, than she has to open up, join a group, participate in some discussions and everything will fall into place.

I truly see alot of woman out there and participating in a lot. They seem to be EVERYWHERE, but they have alot of knowledge and they are out their asking questions to gain that knowledge... there are a few woman on here that I can always turn to for advice and I LOVE that about this group.

Michaela
  • I honelsty haven't had the time to really do my browsing thru the site. There is a lot here and a lot of the links takes you to other sites so it gets kinda confusing. I definelty need to do more networking for my business. I just don't know where to start.
  • I just became a member and I've been welcomed by a few members. I also scrolled through the first 30 pages of members and I actually reached out to some of the members. I found people who had similar interests as I and contacted them first. Maybe Trina can connect with people that way.
  • No, I don't feel lost at all, on any networking site or event it's about what you make it ~ I've met so many Fabulous women here, I talk to some more than others at times but we're all wearing 5, 6 or 7 hats, so at times we may have time to network on-line, some are working full time, getting their businesses of the ground and taking care of the home, by the time they have a moment to regroup, they may prefer to take a hot bath, clean house, read a book or attend a networking event ~ either way, it's up to "US" we must decide to make it happen ~

This is a wonderful site, it's very much needed & appreciated, when Lashanda write blogs or start a conversation, it's up to "US" to take it to the next level, she's does it because it's her passion, it has to be, otherwise she would not have started BBWO.

I ask everyone to make the decision to just do it, introduce yourself and see what happens, we all want the best that GOD has for us so let's make it happen !!

blessings;

Teresa
  • As women, as humans, we need to stop giving up our power. While it is always a blessings when people usher you into an environment, as entrepreneurs, we have to learn how to carve our own way. I am quite sure that we have all met individuals that have undeserved power or recognition. Or better yet, people that succeed in an environment that seems totally out of their league (AKA hustlers). These individuals have learned how MAKE opportunities.

You get as much out of a relationship as you put in. Make yourself at home.
    • ...As women, as humans, we need to stop giving up our power. While it is always a blessings when people usher you into an environment, as entrepreneurs, we have to learn how to carve our own way...

Yes, yes, YES!
    • Hi Cheryl, love your books as always. But, more to the point, your comment was interesting. What do you mean by 'unreasonably vulnerable'? Do share... as I'm reading your post, I am contemplating the need for a networking howto section on BBWO? Anyone think this could be helpful? -lh
  • I have to check in everyday. I feel so lost when I don't, as my inbox gets filled with emails from the different groups that I am part of as well as friend invites. It can be overwhelming, but in a great way.

• For me, I may not participate everyday, but I try to read featured forum discussions and blogs and I have my settings to receive continued messages from discussions I've participated in so I don't miss anything.

It's just like what the bible says, whatever you sow is what you will reap. If you don't participate and sow into relationships and other people's businesses on the network, you will get lost and you will miss out on the many blessings of growing your circle, your network, and your business!! For those that are just getting started, you should make sure that you introduce yourself because I think most of us have commented there and are getting follow-up messages when new members join which gives us a chance to really welcome you and make ourselves available to help if we can.

Then there are groups. Join groups where you "fit" and get to know the folks in those groups. You'll see your circle, no matter how big it gets, become a little more comfortable as you get to know others.

Blessings!
    Shellye
This reply was deleted.