Hey ladies, I just got an idea, so this is just me brainstorming. What do you think about doing a workshop for teen girls, maybe over a weekend. Not sure what city. But the concept would be that it would be free for the girls and the purpose would be to empower them. They would get workshops about self esteem, maybe suicide prevention, or something, being friends with other females, entreprenuership and just other empowering stuff. we could do like a teen networking session and empower them to be happy, healthy, successful young women, and expose them to successful women who support each other. What do you guys think? Do you think its doable?. Would you wanna be a part of it? Where should it be?

You need to be a member of Black Business Women Online to add comments!

Join Black Business Women Online

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Hi Kendall,

There seems to be much interest so I would suggest organizing exactly what you are looking to do and writing out a proposal, maybe setting up a simple website to collectively get the info out there to your sponsers and partners. I'd love to be a part of this but I think this forum is pulling all over the place and I'm not following the clear initiative. Please keep me posted on your next steps.

Joypetaway@gmail.com

www.thesuitenetwork.org
  • I know I'm late in chiming in, but I think it's a wonderful idea. Not sure where it should be, certainly I would vote for it to be in New Jersey because with three young ones, I do not travel. However, if I cannot attend in person, I would be more than happy to assist by locating information, creating flyers, handouts and the like.

Cee Cee
    www.neosoulessentials.com
  • I think Atlanta would be the perfect place to get this started, what do you all think? Is there anyone out there who is in Atlanta or would be willing to travel to Atlanta to help with this?
    Kendall
  • I would be very interested in being a part of this concept / event . . .

Thus, please keep me posted . . .

One in UniTee and all the blessed . . .

RLG
  • I think it is a wonderful idea. I live in Atlanta, GA maybe you can get sponsorship from companies like Essence Magazine, Spelmen College, the National Council of Negro Women, etc. I think it is necessary, I have several young women in my church that don't know anything about proper grooming, etiquette, self-pride or respect. We as a people cannot grow without the Black Women. We need to take a stand and build up our girls.
  • Hi Kendall, I know you were talking about things. Hope you can come through and check it out.l

http://www.myspace.com/utopianetwork
    www.morethanfame.us

The More Than Fame program is an innovative program developed to motivate teens to reach their highest potential. We utilize talented professionals of the fashion, film, music and media industries which students can relate to. Our mission is to creatively inspire youth to be successful by stressing the essential role of an education, financial literacy, social responsibility in their own community.

During Our program students will be engaged in an interactive and energetic experience concentrating on these 3 subjects.
    1) Education
    2) Financial Literacy
    3) Arts and Entrepreneurship

Our panelists are a harmonic blend of men and women both creatives and entrepreneurs, who shape the images and products that teenagers adore.
    A few of our past supporters include:

Kanye West, 30, Music Producer/Artist
    Little X, 30, Video Director for Usher, Keisha Chante, Xhibit and more.
    Kirsten Magwood, 28, Visual Brand Marketer for Russell Simmons and Donald Trump
    Coltrane Curtis, 31, MTV Style VJ for MTV Awards, Sneak Attack.

OUR HISTORY
    Utopia Youth Network was founded in 2002, as a response to the negative behavior and lack of interest in their current education by young people exhibited to our founder, AlissaConstable, during her tenure as Assistant to the Dean at a suburban high school outside of Chicago before moving on to her career as an executive for the world’s leading distributor of independent music distributor in the world.

Since our inception, Utopia Network has long term support from College of Lake County, Toyota/SCION, Columbia College Chicago, Target, VIBE, McDonald’s and VIBE Magazine to name a few.

“At Utopia Network, we are committed as young successful creatives and executives to inspire and inject truth, positive self-image and priceless knowledge into the lives of people not so much younger then we are, from the response of our program, we know that the students leave the program rethinking the images that they see on TV and understand that they are larger then those images.”, states Alissa Constable

Tour Dates:
    April 25: Waukegan, North Chicago and Zion
    April 26: Chicago

We are looking for volunteers and vendors.

Sponsored by Target, Scion, College of Lake County and American Family Insurance
    • I'd love to speak with you about this program as I have a high school initiative called "The Model Student Career Development" program which brings the various occupations associated with the fashion industry to high school students so that we can begin to give them more realistic aspirations, as well as dangle the proverbial carrot to accelerate academic successes . . .

We are preparing to roll this program out in two high schools in the Detroit area and one in Atlanta next fall . . .

One in UniTee and all the blessed . . .

RLG
  • There are actually quite a few of these teen summits that happen all over the country. True Star Magazine in Chicago, Utopia Youth Network , Save The Arts Youth Foundation are reaching out this way too. Definitely go for it and reach out to some of the other organizations who have started and been successful with it...they can help you!

Peace!
    Alissa
  • Hello Kendall,
    It's Erica and that is a great idea. I want to host a teen summit so let's get together and brainstorm. I think the city should be where the need is the most. Let's research the teen pregnancy data and teen violence from females to get a starting point on where to begin. I'm in Maryland but would love to work with you to make it happen. Tha sky is the limit.
    • Thats a great idea, but my vision is different. I am thinking REALLY BIG. Something with sponsors like Pepsi and Coke and McDonalds and Target and Walmart. Something where we do it once a year in a different city and teens actually make the trip to that city specifically for the summit, or whatever we call it. I want to do something that is worthy of national attention. What I am thinking of is an all day style (or like 4-6 hours or a weekend) workshop, teens only, where they can be in a structured environment, where they have space to express themselves, but not something that is mostly social. Lisa Nichols (I think her site is lisanichols.com) does something similar to what I'm talking about. But the difference in what I want to do is that my vision is that it is a collaboration of lots of people, so that we take the best elements of our programs and deliver it to these teens and really make an impact on their lives in a short period of time. I also want to provide a myriad of resources for these teens, and show them real and tangible examples of successful African American people, that they will have an opportunity to interact with.
This reply was deleted.