Online Black Family History

Good Morning Family, (Contact Information At Bottom Of Page) This is Black History month and everywhere you look the national media is recognizing our accomplishments and contributions to this great country. One thing the current election season has brought to the forefront, is the generational divide between Black folk in America. Most of us from the Baby Boomer generation never thought we would live to see a Black President, and most Blacks under 20 think...Why Not? They don't understand our amazement with the current national support for Barack Obama, because they do not know the stories of their parents, grandparents and forefathers here in America. Don't get me wrong. They know about Malcolm, Martin, and the other Black iconic leaders and inventors. But they don't know about the foot soldiers and the day to day struggles that unite us as a people...a people descendent from American slaves. They don't remember that within this generations life time, we had to fight to achieve the freedoms and privileges they so casually take for granted. We as the torch bearers of Black history must take the time to tell our children about what grandma had to do to hold the family together, how uncle Jack stood up to the police in 65, why cousin Joe had to leave Alabama, why Black people were so universally poor. Black history is not just about leaders, it's about the trials and tribulations of a people. Blacks in America have a unique heritage, most of it handed down verbally. You need to talk with your parents and grandparents, and find out YOUR Black history, not just what they teach you in school, or what the media shows on TV once a year. ***************(Advertisement)********************* TraVerus Travel - Become a part of the most unique family in MLM To learn more about free travel visit their website www.traverusfaststart.com/yes.html Or contact Candy at 702-354-0519 to find out about income opportunities ****************************************************** Every year, as a member of the National Juneteenth Holiday Campaign (see http://www.juneteenth.us), I do a series on "Living Black History" (see http://www.blackwebportal.com/wire/AuthorContent.cfm?PartnerID=57) where I ask people to tell their own Black family history. How many of you know what happened to your family elders, after Lincoln freed the slaves on September 22, 1862. So I'm asking this morning for you to send me your personal Juneteenth family experience. Not all Black families were from the south and enslaved at the time of Emancipation Proclamation, but still, it should have had a profound affect, and have generated some type of benefit, or unique experience in your family. If you don't know...You Need To Know!!! I will be republishing these stories all month during this, our national time of reflection...Black History Month. In the past I've found these Black family histories to be compelling, inspiring, and motivational (see http://www.blackwebportal.com/wire/AuthorContent.cfm?PartnerID=57). Lets take some time as an online community and celebrate the emancipation of our forefathers. I'll start it off; On my Mothers side (the Jett's of Louisiana), our family history can be traced back to before the civil war. At the time of emancipation, seeing that most white folk had been killed or run off, my family decided to homestead, dam near the whole plantation (well maybe they didn't occupy the Big House). After reconstruction, they had to defend their claim with guns, but to this day, they still call a community right outside Alexandria ... Jett Hill On my Fathers side (the Neusom's of Texas), they just immediately picked up their bags (some say on the same day) and got the hell out of town...before the white folk changed their mind. Most of the surviving family, is now spread out all over this country, and spell their family name differently (an effect of slavery). My branch came to California. Now it's your turn ... ***************(Advertisement)********************* Looking For More Exposure, Want To Help A Good Cause, Need Money??? Come on over to www.freshfaces2u.com and register to win $10,000 dollars CASH! At Fresh Faces2u it's NOT about how you look...But Who You Are! Join us in our mission to change the image of women in the media Sign Up Today At Fresh Faces2u.com ****************************************************** This Online Journal was brought to you by InterServe Networks. Feel Free To Forward To Your Network Of Online Friends We Practice Responsible E-Commerce Marketing and Privacy Policies. We do not indulge in or encourage Spamming. We never send unsolicited emails. You are receiving this message as part of our opt-in subscriber mailing list or you are a member of an affiliated newsgroup. For comments or suggestions please contact us at the following; Jim Neusom Executive Director/Publisher InterServe Networks/City Lights Software, Inc. www.citylightssoftware.com www.freshfaces2u.com www.myspace.com/jimneusom www.myspace.com/freshfaces2u To subscribe to our opt-in mailing list simply send an email to; The_City_Lights_Reporter-subscribe@yahoogroups.com ( on Myspace go to http://blog.myspace.com/jimneusom )

You need to be a member of Black Business Women Online to add comments!

Join Black Business Women Online

Email me when people reply –