"African Americans have over 700 billion dollars available to spend as they please. The most they spend with Black business is only 6-7%. That's a major problem. That means 93%-94% of the money that Black people earn (income) is being spent with someone else (outgo). Some else is getting the "lion's share" of our money. Other ethnic groups spend money with THEMSELVES 3-6 times before their dollars leave their communities. Black people only 1/2 a time. There's something wrong with that picture." -from www.nbbta.org So why Do You Think we have this problem and what are some viable solutions?

You need to be a member of Black Business Women Online to add comments!

Join Black Business Women Online

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I totally disagree with quite a few responses. Especially that we don't have many businesses. That is not true there over 1 million Black owned businesses and that does not include home based businesses/entrepreneurs. We do have a large diversity of businesses. There is a Black-Owned Computer company in Arizona. A Black Board game was created by a Black genius from California that let's four players play chess or checkers together. A company that makes luxury men's underwear. Plus all of the hair care, bath and beauty products that are really made by Black manufacturers(not by Avon, or Revlon, etc.). There is a soap/lotion manufacturing company in the Atlanta area that is Black owned. So sorry if I went off on you my sisters, but it really bothers me when I see so many people say there are not that many Black businesses.

The one thing that I do agree with you on the mind set of quite a few Blacks have been trained to assume that Black businesses are inferior and have lesser quality products. I believe that was by design, because if so many didn't have that mind set why would Wal-Mart build another mega-super-store near our lower/middle class neighborhoods?

That is why I am so honored to have met the co-founders of the Black Business Network in Atlanta. They are creating a universal market-place for Black products/services.
  • Several reasons:

- We don't have many businesses.
    - The businesses we have aren't diverse.
    - Many businesses don't offer good quality of goods and/or good customer service.
    - We have been trained to not deal with others in our community and ASSUME that those businesses are inferior.

Of course, this is a complex topic with many angles, but these are the largest challenges I see.

PEACE,
    Shay Olivarria
    Author, 10 Things College Students Need to Know About Money

www.BiggerThanYourBlock.com
  • This is such an important topic. I talk about this more at Why We Need to Heal Part 3.

I really don't think this is about economics. It's about our mindset.
  • We don't believe in each other, we find fault with our own color. If we make a mistake we are grounded for life. Some of us were brought up believing white is right.
    It's a lot of dream haters toward African Americans so sad.
    People don't believe in you, because they don't believe in themselves.
    We are so busy worrying about somebody have more than you.
    The solutions is start today patronizing our own.
  • It seems to me based upon the replies to this post that a huge problem is that many otherwise educated African Americans have internalized racist stereotypes of black business, and are making no attempt to look for GOOD black businesses.

Black businesses need to a) diversify and b) develop a business community to get the word out so that people can make a conscious decision to buy their products.
    • I completely agree with you, Leslie, we have internalized racist stereotypes. I have talked about this a lot in my Why We Need to Heal series of articles.

However, even when we look for "good" Black businesses, we unfortunately do not always find them.
  • Good Morning,
    Most Black customers with the big dollars want Quailty customer service,beautiful surroundings
    Most Black Businesses are not freindly or favorable to their own people
    Most are so High mined customers are uncomfortable in their places
    Because rents for Black business are sometimes high produces and services are 3 times higher
    Black Business owns want Big money rather the working relationship with their community.
    If we would look at our Jewish Business men and women they make sure the the people of
    their communities, young and old are taken care of first giving favor to one another to grow.
    We have to favor each other and be kinder to our customers they will spend.
  • I lived in the quote on quote urban community most of my life and I see that happen a lot. Going out of the community to buy what you need or want that is. I can speak for me, I do both spend in the hood and out of the hood, depends on what I'm looking for.
  • On a different note.....

This is a great post, which is why I have decided to feature it on 'The Business', a digital magazine featuring the best Small Business discussions and material on the BBWO Network. This is a new feature, so it is still being customized and I would love your feedback. Feel free to add comments on 'The Business' page. I've been wanting to set this up for a while now, especially after reading the responses I got from my post 'Putting the Business Back in BBWO.' As our community gets bigger, it is becoming a SPAM magnet, and I want to ensure that does not happen. We are experts in our own right with tons of info and experiences to share, which is what I want BBWO to continue to be about. If you feel as I do, great! Continue writing these wonderful posts and I will do all that I can to promote you and your business.

Quick tip: If you haven't already done so, feel free to include your web banner or business details at the bottom of this post. I hope that with the new Magazine page, more traffic will be directed to your way!

Take Care,
    LaShanda

.... keep sharing ladies for the interrupt
  • I feel everything you are saying.

Take my workplace for example. I go to work and follow my work through from start to finish. I take pride in my work. I care about my work. I am getting paid to provide a service. Yes, some days are better than others, but I am getting paid to perform a service. Most importantly, appearance makes a huge difference; not only grooming, but your workspace, neatness in filling out paperwork, the way we approach people, and the way our car look on the inside (messy) when you offer a co-worker a ride, etc... Believe it or not all this counts. And, it will get back to you one way or another.

Frankly, I work with people of all shades who gives a rat stank about the work they produce. My patience are being tried but I have to be tolerable. Lord knows its hard. Then we rack our brain to try and figure out why people don't buy our product or services. The first thing we say, "it ain't me". Really, we need to take inventory of ourselves if you want your business to thrive.

All in the name of Love.

Dorothea @
    www.dcarlisle.qhealthbeauty.com

Note: New Jewelry
    Request a Free Color Catalog (51 pages)
    Our retail jewelry catalog is full of the latest fashion jewelry, costume jewelry, sterling silver, and fashion acessories.

Please contact me via email with your correct mailing address and we will ship your catalog to you.
This reply was deleted.