Each time a commercial or advertisement is aired, one is invited to visit destinations around the world. Yet most African-Americans only visit destinations where they feel welcome - Africa or the Caribbean. Are we afraid to explore other parts of the world that are non-African American? Why? Is there an interest to tour European/Asian destinations provided there is an African-American experience? What would be your motivation to travel 'outside the box'? Please share your thoughts.....

You need to be a member of Black Business Women Online to add comments!

Join Black Business Women Online

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I don't know that we are not comfortable visiting European/Asian destinations insomuch as those areas are not directly marketed to us. If we saw advertising that showed black Americans in those countries, I think people would be more inclined to visit. There may also be perceived discrimination/racism in European countries, but that has not been the case for many.

Language barriers and customs may also be a factor in deciding where to go. And, up until recently, having a passport was not required, so travel to the Caribbean and Mexico was a lot easier. For a long time, I was one of a few friends who had a passport.

I enjoy travelling and have been to two European countries, enjoying my visits there.

I am more inclined to visit a locale for the food and the culture. I'd travel anywhere, by myself even, if I thought there was something I couldn't experience here.
  • I love to travel and as a family we take vacations every year. Our trip in May will be to Barbados. My husband and I would have our own vacations usually in the late summer/early fall - plan to go to Mexico. Our trips are mostly tropical exploring the Caribbean Islands. However, we are planning to venture off with our kids to various countries which includes: London, Paris, Italy, Australia, Singapore, Cambodia, China and Africa. Our trips are specific as we want our children to be mature enough to enjoy the experience - now they are old enough for the European,Asian and other cultural experiences - it's more of a wait until they are old enough to appreciate the trip.
  • I guess that it would depend on ones comfort level. Me wanna go almost everywhere and I plan on doing just that in the coming years but everyone dont have that adventurous spirit
This reply was deleted.