Kathryn Finney Author, Blogger, Fashion Expert Chief Shopping Officer of Simply Good Media/The Budget Fashionista : View more Successful Sista Profiles --------------- The BudgetFashionista, #1 fashion blog on the web. URL: http://www.thebudgetfashionista.com Kathryn Finney's Bio: Author, Television Personality,and Fashion Expert, Kathryn Finney is the Chief Shopping Officer of Simply Good Media, which runs five blogs, including the #1 fashion blog, The Budget Fashionista. She's a frequent guest on TODAY Show, Good Morning America, and CNN and has been featured in The New York Times, People, InStyle, and over 300 other media outlets. She lives in New York City with her husband Tobias, a coupon book, and a closet full of shoes. Successful Sista Survey Success Stories and experiences of Business Women that we all can relate to and learn from. Did you always want to be a Business Woman? I think I was born a business woman. In elementary school, I had a lucrative friendship bracelet business that I used to buy a pair of reebok aerobic high tops. As a teen I had a successful babysitting business. How would you describe your experience as a Black Entrepreneur? There are virtually no black, yet alone black women, running companies in my field of new media, which has at time led us to be challenged in ways that others are not challenged. I use to dwell on this, until I heard the brilliant African-American fashion designer Tracy Reese, who struggled for year designing for other folks and being second guessed all time, at a function speaking on this very topic. Her conclusion was "it is what it is, You can either dwell on it or acknowledge it and continue to do your thing." Looking back on your business decisions, is there anything that you would have done differently? Not a thing, because it's those mistakes that made me the person who I am today. The saying "what doesn't break you, makes you stronger" is very true. Did you have any formal business training? Do you think this is important to be successful? You don't necessarily need formal business training but you do need to know your industry and to be smarter enough to know that you don't know everything. In fact you probably know about half of what you think you know. Also, find something you're passionate about AND good at. So many people start a business based on passion, without assessing whether or not it's something they're actually skilled at. How has family/friend support financially or otherwise affected your business efforts? My family has offered enormous amounts of personal support. My grandparents tape every, and I mean EVERY, television show I've ever been on. How do you work on making your business grow? True networking, talking with people rather than just passing around your business card. I also believe in hard work- so much of success has to do with out working the competition. What words of wisdom can you share with other business women? Don't talk about it, BE about it. When approaching a leader in your particular industry, ask informed questions. Be original, or as Russel Simmons says "Do You" - don't just copy what someone has done.

You need to be a member of Black Business Women Online to add comments!

Join Black Business Women Online

Email me when people reply –