Angela D. Coleman Business Mogul, Community Activist Sisterhood Agenda, Inc. & Sisterhood Agenda Enterprises, LLC. Founder & President : View more Successful Sista Profiles --------------- I am responsible for fund raising: writing grants and coordinating fund raising activities. I am also responsible for day-to-day operations, agency collaboration, community relations, staff management and training, workshop facilitation, and fiscal management. When Sisterhood Agenda has funded projects, I often act as the organization’s Project Director. URL: www.sisterhoodagenda.com Angela D. Coleman's Bio: Since 1994, Sisterhood Agenda’s mission has been to uplift and aid in the self-development of women and girls of African descent, a unique population with special needs. The organization empowers its participants through sisterhood, self-knowledge, self-development, and self-esteem activities. Ms. Coleman and her organization, Sisterhood Agenda, have received numerous awards and national and international recognition for their youth strategies, magazine, program curriculum guides and student manuals. In 2001, Angela Coleman was selected for the prestigious Ashoka Fellowship, recognition for her commitment to positive change through social entrepreneurship. Ms. Coleman also runs Sisterhood Agenda Enterprises, LLC, a for-profit company dedicated to generating commercial revenues to sustain the nonprofit organization over time. Successful Sista Survey Success Stories and experiences of Business Women that we all can relate to and learn from. 1. Did you always want to be a Business Woman? I always wanted to be my own person and work for myself, but in a more unconventional way. As a social entrepreneur, I can be an agent of positive change while having the freedom to define and live the quality of life that is most suitable for me and my family. 2. How would you describe your experience as a Black Entrepreneur. Being a Black entrepreneur is exciting, uplifting and unique in its challenges and rewards. There is no other experience like it! While you have the freedom to thrive, you also have the freedom to fail. Sometimes, it seems like there are unforeseen forces guiding you, so for me, it is a spiritual experience, as well. 3. Looking back on your business decisions, is there anything that you would have done differently? Each decision that we make is an opportunity to learn and grow. Success, however you define it, is achieved through this process and journey, so I am very comfortable with the decisions that I have made. 4. Did you have any formal business training? Do you think this is important to be successful? The right blend of education, training and experience has been very helpful and extremely rewarding for me. I am a cum laude graduate of Princeton University with a Bachelor of Arts degree in Psychology and a minor in African American Studies. I also have an M.B.A. from the University of Phoenix and a Nonprofit Management Certificate from Duke University. I hold additional certificates from the Institute of African Holistic Medicine & Science and The North Carolina Board of Natural Hair Care & Holistic Science. My research topics include self-esteem, racial identity, self-definition, and stigmatization processes. I have over 16 years of nonprofit work experience, nationally and internationally. I have facilitated numerous presentations and seminars on social entrepreneurship, nonprofit management, fundraising, youth development strategies, service evaluation, and racial identity. I always strive to keep growing and learn more. My education is constant, formal and informal. With education, training and experience, I have the tools to adapt to many circumstances and environments. 5. What funding sources have worked for you? A diversified funding approach is one that I utilize. It includes funding from: individuals, earned income, commercial ventures, corporations and small businesses, foundations and government contracts. 6. How has family/friend support financially or otherwise affected your business efforts? My family supports me 100% and I love them! My mother, father and brother are all Sisterhood Agenda donors. They believe in me and my vision for women and girls of African descent. My mother is my best salesperson-she sells magazines, t-shirts, books and African American Women cards like you would not believe. The support of my family and friends has been critical to my business efforts. 7. How do you work on making your business grow? Sisterhood Agenda is constantly branding itself through its website, publications and merchandise. This type of public relations and advertising is not easy to implement, but it has worked for us. Sisterhood Agenda is always working on developing positive multi-media approaches for women and girls of African descent, replicating successful programs to scale up and creating new ways to support the mission. I have done this work long enough to know that growing smart is much better than simply growing big. I am always concerned about sustainability and markets. I know that small can be beautiful, too. 8. What words of wisdom can you share with other business women? Learn about yourself first. Be multi-dimensional. Change is inevitable, so stay flexible to adapt to change. Don’t be afraid to let go. Sometimes you and/or your organization need to be broken down before it can be reborn with a renewed sense of purpose, bigger and better than ever. Create a solid foundation, keep the energy positive, maintain your integrity and original intentions to stay focused and balanced. Enjoy the journey and have fun! While I may not enjoy each and every aspect of my work, I love what I do with my time and talents.

You need to be a member of Black Business Women Online to add comments!

Join Black Business Women Online

Email me when people reply –