Etwin Gordon-John Owner/Baker/Cake Decorator Essential Cakes View more Successful Sista Profiles --------------- "I am the sole owner, baker and decorator of Essential Cakes. I started this cake business about three year ago after graduating from Culinary School. My Specialty is Red Velvet, but I do offer a variety of cakes. I make cakes for all occasions, birthdays, baby showers, bridal showers,weddings, etc.... I take pride in every cake that I do and I stand behind my product 100%" URL: http://www.myspace.com/essentialcakes Etwin Gordon-John's Bio: It would all start with a sudden urge to make new dishes. This urge found me taking courses at The Art Institute of New York City in Culinary Arts Management. I initially wanted to go into the catering business, but after taking a pastry course I quickly changed my mind. Baking cakes is what I wanted to do. I finished up at AINYC with an AOS in Culinary Management and a Certificate in Pastry Arts. While taking the Pastry courses I would bring my baked goods to my co-workers. They loved it! I was asked to make a Red Velvet cake for a bake sale at work and this would be the start of Essential cakes. Why Essential cakes? Is a cake not the most essential element of any party? If anyone said that word of mouth wasn't’t the best way to get the word out, they were wrong. It’s been spreading ever since then and my phone has not stop ring since. I take great pride in everything I bake and put all my heart and soul into it. Or as the saying goes “I put my foot in it” My specialty is the Red Velvet of course, but I have a list of many other cake choices. For more information you can see me at myspace.com/essentialcakes for photos, cake selections and pricing. I make cakes for any occasion, birthdays, baby showers, weddings or just because. Thank you to those who have and continue to support me and to those who will support me in the future. Successful Sista Survey Success Stories and experiences of Business Women that we all can relate to and learn from. Did you always want to be a Business Woman? I did, but I really didn't take it that serious until someone asked to make a cake for them and asked me how much it would cost. I always wanted to have something of my own, where I would only have to answer to myself. How would you describe your experience as a Black Entrepreneur? So far I must say, so good. I have the freedom to make my own decisions. I'm having fun doing what I do. I put my clients first and provide the best product possible. I do all that I can to put myself out there and make a name for myself. I'm not where I dream of being yet,but all big dreams start out small. Looking back on your business decisions, is there anything that you would have done differently? No. Everything you do right or wrong, good or bad is a learning experience. The greatest part of making mistakes is to not do it again. So I have no regrets. Did you have any formal business training? Do you think this is important to be successful? I attended The Art Institute of NYC and received an AOS in Culinary Arts and a Certificate in Pastry Arts. My time spent in Culinary School was well worth it. I learn everything about starting your own business, and how to control cost, that's one of the best ways to having a successful business. So there is nothing more important than being a success. What funding sources have worked for you? I have had no outside funding. I put back into my business from the profits I make. I budget myself and keep record of every penny I spend. I don't overboard on purchasing things I don't really need. The key to a successful business is Budget, Budget, Budget. How has family/friend support financially or otherwise affected your business efforts? Everyone has been so supportive of what I am doing. Whether it's buying a cake themselves or referring someone to me who could be a future client. People always have some interesting ways of describing how my cakes taste. Some one actually said " When I dye just bury me with an 8" cake that's how I want to out" How do you work on making your business grow? Lots of advertising. I believe that every cake should bring me a new client. My cakes go out with a sticker with all my information and some business cards to pass along to friends. My business card is like an American Express, I never leave home without them. What words of wisdom can you share with other business women? Never let anyone one or anything get in the way of your dreams. Persistence is Key. Surround yourself with positive people and never think that helping someone else to achieve their dreams will hinder you from achieving yours.

You need to be a member of Black Business Women Online to add comments!

Join Black Business Women Online

Email me when people reply –