Shellye L. Williams CEO / Business Support Services Paradise Legal Support & Secretarial Services View more Successful Sista Profiles --------------- "Paradise Legal Support & Secretarial Services - Business Support Services" URL: http://www.paradisesecretarial.com Shellye L. Williams's Bio: Ms. Williams has over fourteen years combined experience as a Legal/Executive Secretary, Paralegal, and Administrative Assistant/Office Manager combined with over nine years as Entertainment/Marketing Manager, Managing Editor, Assistant Editor, Staff, Guest Writer and Copyeditor for various newsletters, newspapers, and magazines. As CEO of Paradise Legal Support & Secretarial Services, she provides specialized business support services to a variety of individuals, authors, attorneys, corporations, nonprofit organizations, politicians, and small business owners. She presently serves as President/Executive Director of the National Business Women Enterprise Network (NBWEN), a faith based, non-profit organization providing support to womenpreneurs. Successful Sista Survey Success Stories and experiences of Business Women that we all can relate to and learn from. Did you always want to be a Business Woman? I believe I've always had it in me to be a Business Woman! My father is an entrepreneur and I've always had a very service oriented spirit. How would you describe your experience as a Black Entrepreneur? Being a black entrepreneur as well as a woman has provided advantages and some challenges. However, I wouldn't change it for the world! Opportunities abound. You just have to look for them and when they knock, be ready to jump! Looking back on your business decisions, is there anything that you would have done differently? Looking back on my business decisions, the only thing I would do differently is choose my associates and clientele more carefully. My weakness is that I tend to want to help and feel sorry for folks so I "cheapen" my self and I don't think I garner as much respect when I do that. It is okay in some circumstances but I wish I'd been more selective. Did you have any formal business training? Do you think this is important to be successful? My business experiences come from work and life experiences as well as some college. I feel it is VERY important to pursue formal business training in the field in which you would like to do business. If you don't, it's like the blind leading the bling! What funding sources have worked for you? In the beginning, I saved and saved and saved my pennies to purchase books and equipment for my business and I signed up for a lot of freelance sites. I choose to continue to fund my own business through clients and sometimes part-time or temporary positions at this point but will pursue grants and other opportunities as the business continues to grow. How has family/friend support financially or otherwise affected your business efforts? For the most part my family and friends have been very supportive of my business efforts. Although, not necessarily through finances, they have helped tremendously by being a shoulder to cry on, helping me the kids, and referring business clients to me. How do you work on making your business grow? I work on growing my business through attending and hosting networking events within my own organization as well as with others, using technology resources such as e-mail blasts and social networking sites like myspace, LinkedIn, Facebook, etc. What words of wisdom can you share with other business women? Don't give up on your dream of entrepreneurship. Remember YOU have to make it a reality. Being an entrepreneur requires passion, dedication, and lots of work!

You need to be a member of Black Business Women Online to add comments!

Join Black Business Women Online

Email me when people reply –