Aleshia Alston Founder/Executive Editor Kingdom Builder Magazine View more Successful Sista Profiles --------------- "Empower, Encourage, Educate, Motivate" URL: http://www.kingdombuildermagazine.com Aleshia Alston's Bio: I am the great granddaughter, granddaughter, and niece of entrepreneurs. As long as I can remember, I have loved to write. My childhood is filled with walking a notebook and a pencil. In high school, I dreamt about one day starting a magazine. My dream has become a reality. I am CEO of Kingdom Builder Media. The mission of Kingdom Builder Media is to reach the world for Christ through the media. Currently, Kingdom Builder Media consists of Kingdom Builder Magazine and Sound the Alarm Talk Radio Show. Kingdom Builder Magazine is an online Christian magazine dedicated to empowering, encouraging, educating, and motivating God’s people. Sound the Alarm addresses the issues Christians face in everyday life. My vision is to expand into television, books, plays, etc. I love the Lord with all of my heart, because the LORD has anointed me to bring good news to the poor. He has sent Me to heal the brokenhearted, to proclaim liberty to the captives, and freedom to the prisoners; to proclaim the year of the Lord’s favor, and the day of our God's vengeance; to comfort all who mourn, to provide for those who mourn in Zion; to give them a crown of beauty instead of ashes, festive oil instead of mourning, and splendid clothes instead of despair. And they will be called righteous trees, planted by the LORD, to glorify Him. Isaiah 61:1-3 Successful Sista Survey Success Stories and experiences of Business Women that we all can relate to and learn from. Did you always want to be a Business Woman? Not at all. I was content working as a case manager for Older Adults. I enjoy helping seniors maintain their quality of life and independence. That changed in the summer of 2007. God gave me a vision for a business and the rest is history. My maternal grandfather was a business owner in Bergen County, NJ in the 1940s. My maternal great grandfather was a business owner in South Carolina in the early 1900s. My father’s brother owned a beauty salon and now a catering business. I guess you could say being an entrepreneur is my birthright. How would you describe your experience as a Black Entrepreneur? I would describe my experience as a Black Entrepreneur as a roller coaster ride. I have had many ups and downs. Looking back on your business decisions, is there anything that you would have done differently? There are definitely things I would have done differently. I would have trusted my gut feeling about people a lot more. Did you have any formal business training? Do you think this is important to be successful? I don’t have any formal business training at this time. I plan to take some courses. I believe it is important to study and be well versed in business. However, I have certainly received a lot of on the job training. What funding sources have worked for you? My funding sources have been family, church family, and myself. How has family/friend support financially or otherwise affected your business efforts? Support from my friends and family has made a big difference. The magazine has been gaining momentum through word of mouth. How do you work on making your business grow? I work on making my business grow by getting out and networking. When I receive invitations to events, I go if my schedule permits. I also use the internet; sites like myspace, google, etc. have been a blessing. What words of wisdom can you share with other business women? The words of wisdom I can share with other business women is trust your gut. It took courage to step out and pursue your dream, keep going!

You need to be a member of Black Business Women Online to add comments!

Join Black Business Women Online

Email me when people reply –