Hi all, Aleshia - one of our featured BBWO bloggers started a great post on Establishing Credit. Her post got me thinking about my own credit history and how I've worked on fixing it. Here is my story, feel free to share yours... I previously read something from another entrepreneur, where he recommended opening a small business bank account - even if you are only able to get a limit of $300 or $500. It's a great way to get your credit established. Me personally, like many college students, I fell into the trap of getting cards and bad credit. But after college, I started working hard to repair my credit. I learned NOT to be afraid of the creditors. I called to followup on those items in collections and got myself on a payment plan, paying off the smallest bills first. I also have friends who've been able to SETTLE their debt, only paying a portion of what they owed. You should read up on that as well. I also got a secure credit card. When you are not able to get a regular credit card due to your score, you can apply for a secure credit - which is basically like a debit card in a sense because you have to put the money on the card. I got a secure card with a $250 and after regularly making my payment on time my bank upped my limit to $300 and then they eventually credited me back the $250 that I originally put on the card. I also annually check my credit report going to one of the 3 major credit bearues websites, and getting a copy of my report. You can get it in a matter of minutes. This is a great way to know what your score is and stay on top of it! Find out if there are any error or things you paid off that you would like removed, etc. Last but not least, I opened up an ING Direct savings account, which you can open up online in less than an hour. The interest is great, and I regularly direct deposit a small amount of funds into that account, as a little rainy day nest egg. The best line of credit for me has always been BANK LASHANDA. LOL. Share your credit stories - tips - and words of wisdom.... And review our other forums on Financial Planning and Money Matters

You need to be a member of Black Business Women Online to add comments!

Join Black Business Women Online

Email me when people reply –