Grant Writing Consultant

Do any of you have experience with writing grants? I just finished a certificate program on grant writing. I am scheduled to take another course called "Becoming a Grant Writing Consultant." If any of you have information to pass on on becoming successful grant writing consultant then I would appreciate it.

You need to be a member of Black Business Women Online to add comments!

Join Black Business Women Online

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I am a grant writer also. The foundationcenter.org is the best for training and questions. Plus most of it is free except the funding research and additional training. But all of the basics are listed in free grantwriting training on their website.

Stay in Touch and good luck to your.

Yavon
    • thank you for this!

be forever blessed
    • Thanks for the info. Have you successfully written any grants yet? I took the class on how to writie a grant and now since I have signed up for a class on how to become a consultant. Do you think the class is necessary? How do you actually get into the field otherwise?
      • Hi Janovia,

Yes I have been instrumental in writing and obtaining grants for several agencies, Healthy Start Initiative, Youth Leadership Institute, United Network for Organ Sharing, and more. Currently working with churches and community organization to start up programs to help homelessness, ex-offenders (female) and looking for more input for board membership and volunteers in the community.

As with any other profession, experience is the real teacher. Get your information out to the community. Visit non-profits, do needs assessments for them on a contingent basis, let them know what you can do for them and how you can help them achieve their missions. Some work may have to be on a in-kind (pro bono) basis until you have built a reputation for your business. Good news travels fast, but bad news travels faster. Treat all of your clients with respect, and they will provide you with additional referrals.

Even if they do not need your services your will be recommended to others in need. I never advertise my grant writing skills, people are sent to me through referrals.

As I have always said: If you work only for the money you will never succeed, always put others first and success will be yours!

Your friend and partner
        YaVon Best
        Best3Concepts

P.S. You will have to be a good writer and an excellent speller, researcher, coordinator, English composition major, and able to follow instructions to the letter or your grant will be thrown away before it is even read by the reviewers. All the information you need is right here on the Internet, you just need to do the research. The classes are free on the net. I'll find the link and post it for you soon.
This reply was deleted.