Start up funds....

Hi Ladies, I am a new business owner and I would like to ask advice about getting funds to start a small business. Also, I would like to know are there loans or grants out here that a business owner can get if their credit isn't the best. Thanks in advance!

You need to be a member of Black Business Women Online to add comments!

Join Black Business Women Online

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• You may want to check and see if their are any Small Business incubators in your city. Although they do not lend any money, they do provide counseling, training, use of their facility as a business location, and some administrative services to you at no or low cost. The programs are usually 2-3 years. Some incubators help you obtain funding after completion of the program. You can look at www.nbia.org for a location near you.

Jaime
    Start-UP Success NOW!
  • On a different note.....

This is a great post, which is why I have decided to feature it on 'The Business', a digital magazine featuring the best Small Business discussions and material on the BBWO Network. This is a new feature, so it is still being customized and I would love your feedback. Feel free to add comments on 'The Business' page. I've been wanting to set this up for a while now, especially after reading the responses I got from my post 'Putting the Business Back in BBWO.' As our community gets bigger, it is becoming a SPAM magnet, and I want to ensure that does not happen. We are experts in our own right with tons of info and experiences to share, which is what I want BBWO to continue to be about. If you feel as I do, great! Continue writing these wonderful posts and I will do all that I can to promote you and your business.

Quick tip: If you haven't already done so, feel free to include your web banner or business details at the bottom of this post. I hope that with the new Magazine page, more traffic will be directed to your way!

Take Care,
    LaShanda

.... keep sharing ladies for the interrupt
  • Don't know if you are in Atlanta, but WEDA is hosting an orientation for business financing for small business owners next Thursday.
  • The small business association has loans. You may want to google programs or contact the local business schools where you are as they may have minority-women business programs/clinics that may offer start-up grants.

Quanisha
  • Hi Lady L:

I'm going to be honest with you - the only loans that I can think you can get as a small business owner are from the Small Business Association. I'm sure there are some private foundations that give grants to business owners, but from what I understand they are few and far between.

Given that, it depends on what you want to do to start your business - you may not necessarily need cash, but merely a network where you can trade services.

CeeCee
  • Here are a few BBWO posts worth reading:

1. Info finding Grants
    2. Are Money Issues Holding You Back
    3. Establish Credit
    4. Are you official?
    5. Starting a Business FAQ

Remember to review the latest Succesful Sista Profiles, these women share their business stories with you, giving some insight into their experiences and what it takes as a women entrepreneur to successfully build your own business.
    Good luck! -lh
    • Thank you so much LaShanda!
This reply was deleted.