Focus on Achievement-#4 in a Series of Discussions By Joan E. Gosier, CEO of HBCU kidz, Inc. Definition of GAP [a problem caused by some disparity] Pronunciation: \gap\ Function: noun Science +Math +Artifacts of Culture +Reading +Test Taking Tips=Gap Closure Did you know that there was a 36% gap in using a computer at home between black students and white students according to the US Department of Education NCES Status and Trends in the Education of Blacks? Did you also know that there was a 13% gap in people over 18 going online between blacks and whites according to a Pew national survey completed in February 2004 ? Does it matter to you? Quite a few things are happening on the internet today. Many opportunities for our children to learn new skills are in a domain name. In fact, I am really happy to know that on demand, you can find a video on almost any topic under the sun for your child to learn about. I have a personal testimony to share that tickled me. My daughter began to use our home computer at or around age 2 using a Fisher Price keyboard. She can quickly log on to www.Starfall.com and www.Pbs.org independently. At age 5, she writes letters and prints them out to put on her wall. So the other day she was sitting on my lap as I worked on a project. She looks up at me and asks, “Mommy, how do they make computers?” I began to describe and she interrupted. “No, I mean do they draw it out on paper first?, how do they make it into a box like that and who was the person who did it first? What is their name(s)?” Ouch. So I wasn’t getting off easy with this. Well, low and behold there is www.google.com to the rescue. Together, we found a video explanation that took you from the ancient Egyptian sun dial technology up to a British mathematician and inventor Charles Babbage who is credited for the creation of the first programmable computer in 1822. So upon completion, she looks up and says. “OK, I understand THAT BUT how did they get Dora, Nick Jr. and Little Bill inside of the computer? Did they draw it first and where do they stick it inside so it shows up on the screen?” I patiently smiled and promised her that we would revisit these awesome questions after our snack. I gotta get back to that lesson. However, I think her questions provoked me to gather together some other parents for village assistance. We had an interesting phone conference. Visit here for the results of that call. http://www.hbcukids.com/EducationalConcepts3.html Now, can someone point me in the right direction on how to explain this to a five year old? I have talked with people who say that computers are hard to provide for children because they cost too much. There are many groups who give them away for free and the internet access charges are about $1.00 per day. In my opinion, it is worth every penny. At the public library, it is free to use the computers. They usually charge for printing documents and depending on how crowded your branch is there may be a limit on the amount of time you can remain connected. Don’t let it be a barrier. A few hours a week is far better than none at all. If you have family members who do not yet own a home computer, perhaps you can share with them how easy it is to get a hold of one. I recall convincing my cousin to get a SEARS credit card to invest in one. At the time my dear older cousin thought it was a ridiculous suggestion and a wasted luxury item because he did not even know how to turn on a computer. Today, almost 20 years later, I am pleased to announce that he is a “professional computer programmer” working for a fortune 500 company. That computer helped motivate him to go back to college, win a scholarship to complete a bachelors degree and get recruited and relocated out of state by a top notch high technology employer. Who says a computer is not a family’s best friend? Ask Fido or Spot can you help get someone viable employment? It is so important that those of us who are connected via internet take a moment to share with those in our family who do not yet understand the importance or see the need. Think about all of the various coupons and offers you receive or even those heart touching stories that brighten your day. There are groups of people in your family bitter and jaded with life because they do not have any idea that this world even exists. Every day there is something new to learn, do or buy on the internet that you cannot find locally or even NATIONALLY. Try finding unique and inspirational gifts for Black History in your local retail store. So especially for this Black History Month, make it a point to share with your family all that the internet has offered to your life. Don’t forget to introduce and visit sites such as www.BlackParentConnect.com to find a gift that will inspire a love using technology. The internet is not just for playing games. It is becoming another way of life. So please do everyone a favor….Celebrate Black History Month by spreading the word about using the computer at home! This series is intended to be a work in progress. What I am doing as an individual, and what others are doing as well. Together we can learn some new things and reinforce some things we already knew. What do you think? Can we work together? The Achiever in Training and S.M.A.R.T curriculum are exclusive copywritten and proprietary programs developed by HBCU kidz, Inc. For more statistics and academic resources please visit www.achieversintraining.com and click on "Resources." To comment on this article, visit our "Blog" To communicate with other concerned Black parents, please visit www.blackparentconnect.com. For more information about the program or the limited edition gift collection, visit http://www.achieversintraining.com/. The site contains information and ideas to proactively promote positive images for African American children and their families. Contact Joan Gosier at 1-888-HBCU-kid. CONTACT: Joan E. Gosier 954-302-4540 JoanGosier@HBCUkidz.com

EducationofBlacks.pdf

abecedarian.pdf

You need to be a member of Black Business Women Online to add comments!

Join Black Business Women Online

Email me when people reply –