Affirmations 101

One thing that has really changed my life for the better is the use of affirmations. Not only have they helped me in my personal life but in my professional life as well.

If you don't know, an affirmation is a positive statement designed to counteract negative beliefs you may have. And according to Jeff Saniforth, founder of AffirmWare, a positive affirmation is a statement that becomes instilled in your subconscious mind and influences outside forces to maifest positive changes in your life through repetition.

A few benefits of affirmations:
  • By using positive self talk, you positively shape your reality.
  • It's an inspirational act to lift your spirits.
  • You gain the ability to connect with your inner guidance.
When you repeat your affirmations often, it can help you get on the path to getting what you want and becoming who you want. So after some time repeating them, what you've been saying will come into fruition (keep in mind this works for negative thoughts/phrases as well).

According to Staniforth, affirmations are based on three principles:
  • Your present reality is a direct result of your thinking.
  • Change your thinking, and your reality changes.
  • Affirmations change your thinking.
Some tips for writing your affirmations:
Use present tense. Positive affirmations work better when stated this way. So, for instance, instead of saying, "My jewelry business will be successful," say, "My jewelry business is successful."
Keep them positive. Instead of saying, "I don't eat junk food anymore" (a negative affirmation), try, "I eat healthier everyday" or even "I am motivated to eat healthier."
Make them short, and be as specific as possible. By keeping them short, your affirmations will be easier to say and to remember. And by being specific, you're more likely to get exactly what you want. So if you want to make more money, affirm an exact amount, i.e., "I make $1500 through my business each month."
Repeat your affirmations often.
Use positive affirmations. Affirmations work best when you actually feel yourself being joyful when saying them. Additionally, use words that have power.
Believe. Now, you don't have to necessarily believe your affirmations initially, but as time goes on, you should definitely start believing what you're saying sooner rather than later. The quicker you start believing you can have what you want, you will.

Get more posts like this on my blog, Mocha Writes.

You need to be a member of Black Business Women Online to add comments!

Join Black Business Women Online

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Thanks, ladies! I'm glad ya'll enjoyed it!
  • This is a great post!!
  • I love your post on affirmations. Affirimations are powerful, and I strongly believe in them. Actually, I was exposed to affirmations in High School in the late 70's, and I remember them today, I am, I can and I will. Presently, I teach a Self-Esteem curriculum to children, which I incorporate affirmations. Thanks for sharing.
  • Another awesome post Jamie!
  • I love this post. Sometimes, it's little reminders like this that pulls you back onto the right path.

Thanks for posting this.
    • I'm glad you like it, Tieast, and glad it helped : )
This reply was deleted.