How to get answers to survey questions

Hi everybody,
I have a question for this fabulous group. What is the best way to go about getting people to respond to surveys? Even something as simple as answering one question? Where is the best place to ask questions to get answers from the general public? For example, I create workshops for women and I am trying to find out what titles and topics women are interested in attending, but aside from asking my friends (a good start, but not enough) I don't know who else to ask or where? What are your suggestions? How do you find out what women want so you can give it to them? I'm looking forward to your responses!

You need to be a member of Black Business Women Online to add comments!

Join Black Business Women Online

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Hi Nicolette! Depending on how much your products and services cost, you may want to offer discounts. Perhaps, on your upcoming workshops. It's important to assess whether the outcome or return from the survey is more than the cost of the offer (ROI). I've made some bad choices in the past where I offered certain products/services and didn't even come close to recovering my expenses and/or costs.

Good luck!
    • Thank you for responding Lavada. I think I have a unique situation (well, maybe not unique, but new to me because I've never done this before). I am just starting my coaching business and trying to narrow down my niche, so I don't have "anything" to offer yet. I can offer a complimentary coaching session, but that would be a lot to offer everyone who may complete the survey. I'd like to do the survey to find out what kinds of issues and problems women are facing so I can create the materials/products/etc. that will address those concerns. I would like to find out what the market needs so I can then provide it.
      Any thoughts on going about this?
      • Sounds like you're in the market research stage. I think it's awesome that you're actually doing research ahead of time. Some of us start our businesses first, then research later after we've wasted a lot of time and money.

LaShanda mentioned just asking on different forums, which has really helped me to find my niche. Also, me and a couple of friends formed a focus group in which we meet regularly to help each other with our businesses. We bounce ideas off one another and hold each other accountable. Our focus group just so happened to be comprised of members of my target market, which also helped me tremendously.

In the beginning, you may have to offer more freebies than you'd like until people get to know and trust you. I just don't recommend making it a regular business practice unless you are sure the return will outweigh the costs.

Why don't you give it a shot with us, Nicolette? Create a discussion with your survey or post it here. I'll be sure to provide feedback, no charge ;-).
  • Great Question:

Survey Tool: http://www.surveymonkey.com

Getting answers:

1) Attach Contest or Giveaway to Survey
    I am giving 'x' away, when you respond to the survey you enter to win. It has to be good 'not over the top expensive'... could be $20 bucks BUT something the people answering that kind of survey would want. If its a fashion survey, you would giveaway clothing, cute tee, jewelry.

2) Yahoo Answers and similar websites where people are just answering questions

3) Just Ask on this forum or others. Hey guys what do you think about xyz...

4) Market Research... what are you seeing other people focus on and why

5) Thing about what clients have asked you for in the past, thats is also a good place to start.

-BBWO Founder, LaShanda
    • I'm glad to know that it's ok to ask here. Thanks for your speedy response!
      ~Nicolette
This reply was deleted.