I wanted to take a minute and start a real discussion; to spark conversation about how this group is being used and how we all can BEST use this network. This topic came to mind because I realized that while Black Business Women Online is quickly growing, only a handful of members regularly participate in Forum Discussions or Add Blog Posts and of that handful, the topics are usually the same. Though I feel we all can benefit from sharing our business services with the group, we need to both open up the forum and ourselves to the idea of discussing issues that can genuinely add substance and advice to those interested in building their businesses And to using this network as an opportunity to discuss issues relevant to Women of Color among a group of highly intelligent and ambitious black women.
Now I myself do more than my share of self-promotion on BBWO, it is my network after all (lol) but that is not all I do and try to bring to this space. In between working and networking, I try to supply the group at large with resources and information that many can benefit from. And I would really like to see that happen more among more of our members. I've read several great, lively discussions on here and I want to build that type of energy on the group. Some great posts I've seen include:
0. Introduce Yourself
1. How Did You Establish Your Business?
2. Calling all authors and authoresses
3. Learn how to make money on BBWO
4. How do you stay motivated?
I also wanted to spark conversation about what you, me, she, we all can really do on BBWO and any social network for that matter. I feel like more often than not, half of the people that join a group, join in the hopes that inclusion alone with help to get them noticed and promoted. And in reality that is far from the case. Those who will get the most out of any group, in particular this one, are members who participate.
I do realize though, that sometimes participation is easier said than done. I myself, at one point didn't have a clue about what to do in a social network beyond joining and adding a few friends. But there is actually quite more for you to do here and many ways that you can really benefit from making the most of a network. Ok, so that being said I am going to throw out some suggestions and I hope you do the same. Share what works for you or what you would like to see happen by being a member of this group. Whatever it is, let's all start by simply sharing something.
So here are a few suggestions of things I've done or seen other members to:
- Adding photos or video is a great way to give people a better view of your biz
- If you have an etsy store : You can add etsy content to your page
- Start a group or join a group that focuses on your area of interest
- Write a real blog post or forum discussion about your experience and/or advice
* Most people enjoy reading posts that are genuine and informative, not just an ad
- Talk about issues that matter to you, talk about being an entrepreneur
- Talk about low funds, hard work, bad deals, great learning experiences, new goals
- Talk about your dreams, your successes big and small
* Be more than an advertiser, become a person that other members can relate to
- Share words of encouragement, testimony
- Talk about something you learned as a business person or about business
- Can't figure something out? Ask the group.
- Browse the member forum. Search for keywords relevant to you. Add a friend.
- Browse the form categories. Reply to a discussion or unanswered question.
- Post your site in the forum and request feedback. Find out what works & does not.
- Share product samples or discounts with members.
- Review member websites. Request link exchanges.
- Add an event. Submit your site to a listed directory.
- Post to your blog. Talk about your recent updates, what are you working on now?
- Share your favorite resources with the group or select member friends.
- Update your page with image, your site url, bio, etc.
- Adding friends helps bring new people to your page. Comment on member pages.
- Ummmm... I don't know, you suggest something now.
- Learn how to make money on BBWO
In short, though I love the idea of self-promotion, it isn't all that I want this group to be about. So let's be about something ladies! What do you say?