I think by now everyone knows that one of my favorite oils is coconut oil. If you've read my bio and listened to the story behind Dixie Bits, you'd know that it's the first oil I was introduced to as a small child growing up in Trinidad.
In my village there is still an endless supply of coconut trees and therefore, lots of coconut water and coconut fruit available for consumption. Coconut oil also remains a staple in our home as my grandmother still extracts it on the stove top. Needless to say, it is one of the oils you'll find in some of Dixie Bits' products. I could go on and on about how great and nutritive this oil is but, I won't. Instead, here are 10 benefits I'd like to share with you.
1. It is a excellent massage oil, moisturizer and skin softener. It prevents drying and flaking of the skin.
2. It is a wrinkle reducer and prevents premature aging.
3. It helps to treat skin afflictions such as eczema and psoriasis.
4. It is an excellent hair conditioner. When applied topically, it provides nutrition for the scalp. It treats and repairs damaged hair and can even prevent dandruff and lice.
5. Due to the high levels of antioxidants in coconut oil, it can also ward of degenerative diseases.
**When ingested, coconut oil can:
6. Reduce LDLs (bad lipoproteins) and increases HDLs (good lipoproteins), which means that it can improve overall cholesterol.
8. Strengthen the immune system.
9. Treat irratiatable bowel syndrome.
10. Aid in healing cuts and bruises and because of its anti-microbal and anti-viral properties, it's believed to kill some bacteria and fungi in and on the body.